The Answer Isn’t Always More Chlorine In Your Swimming Pool

Posted by Tim Roadnight
The Answer Isn’t Always More Chlorine

In some ways, chlorine is a “wonder substance” that has made it possible for first world nations like the USA to prosper. Without the addition of chlorine to water sources like faucets and swimming pools, the incidence of sickness from contaminated water in our nation would be unacceptably high. Chlorine, when added to water, makes the water safe to use and drink, killing off the vast majority of bacteria that would pose a health risk. Fortunately, the addition of the chlorine itself doesn’t make the water any less safe to wash, cook or drink with, and because of it’s a cost-efficient, easy procedure to implement, it’s used everywhere throughout the country, even for things like swimming pool service.

However, while chlorine is a beneficial addition to any water supply, especially swimming pools, it’s important not to make the mistake of thinking “more is better.” If you’re serious about safe, healthy pool service, any expert you hire to do this for you will tell you one of the most dangerous mistakes you can make is to think “There’s no such thing as too much chlorine in a swimming pool,” and here’s why.

Chemical Balance Is A Safe Balance

Many people are aware of the fact that oxygen is a necessary component of the air we breathe, and without it, we suffocate. However, while adding more oxygen can be enriching to the air you breathe, too much oxygen can be dangerous. Lighting a match in a high oxygen environment, for example, can lead to a fireball that hurts everyone in the area.

The same is true for chlorine. In the right amounts, it is a valuable “shield” against possible contagions in the water that can make us sick. But beyond a certain point, adding more chlorine than is necessary into the water can become toxic, and actually make the water even more dangerous than if it were infected with a disease.

Be Aware Of Nausea

In 2015, at a public pool located in California, in Contra Costa County, 34 of the 50 swimmers in the pool experienced severe nausea and started vomiting. The pool was cleared of visitors, and when an examination was conducted, it was found that the culprit was a malfunction in the chemical controller. Sodium hypochlorite interacted with muriatic acid in such a way that chlorine gas was introduced into the pool which is toxic.

Blurred vision, irritated breathing through the nose, itchy eyes and nausea are all symptoms of exposure to either too much chlorine in the water or inhaling chlorine gas. In order to prevent these kinds of outbreaks, it is important to carefully monitor and control the amount chemicals released into the pool water.

Professional swimming pool service is one of the best ways to ensure this doesn’t happen. It means experts who know what to look for can inspect and maintain the equipment used in chemical balance and can test the results of the chemicals in the water, correctly interpreting the information to know what is safe and what is a problem that needs to be addressed.