How To Determine If Your Pool Has A Leak
Are you constantly having to refill your pool this season? There are two probable causes. One would be that the sun is very quickly evaporating the water from the surface of your pool. This is a fairly easy fix because you can invest in a cover once and for all and keep the water from leaving your pool. But if your pool has sprung a leak, you have a more serious problem on your hands that may need immediate attention. Here is a simple test to help you narrow it down.
Use the 5-gallon bucket test to help you figure out if your pool has a leak. You may not be able to determine where the leak is, but this way you will be able to tell if the water is just evaporating or if you have a more serious problem on your hands.
Turn off all water features attached to your pool like waterfalls and auto-fill features. Do not backwash your pool during the experiment or do any cannonballs.
- Take a 5-gallon bucket and submerge it in the water of your pool on your pool steps.
- Place a heavy object (ie a big rock) in the bottom of the bucket to hold it in place.
- Fill the bucket up to the same level as your pool water.
- Mark the level of the water with a permanent marker or some tape so that you can keep an eye on the water level.
- Leave the bucket alone for several days. Keep an eye on the water level in the bucket. If the pool seems lower than the water that is in the bucket, chances are that you have sprung a leak somewhere in your pool.
- If you don’t see any difference, repeat the test again for a couple of days with the filter on the opposite setting.
- If you turned it off for the first experiment, turn it on for this time and vice versa. This will help you narrow down if the leak is in the pool itself or within the filter system.
If you discover that your pool has sprung a leak, it is probably best to call in the professionals. You’ll want to get it fixed right and not waste time and money on repairs that may or may not work. You’ll just run into a bigger problem down the road. Pool Knights is here to help. Give us a call today so we can get you on the road to a working pool once more.